Dr. Kamini A. Rao is one of the pioneers in the field of Assisted Reproduction in India and a beacon of hope for thousands of infertile couples who are unable to conceive and have a child of their own. She has a distinguished clinical and research career in reproductive medicine, specializing in reproductive endocrinology, ovarian physiology and assisted reproductive technology and has been awarded the Padma Sri, one of India’s highest civilian awards.
Dr. Kamini A. Rao is credited with the birth of India’s First SIFT Baby. The pioneer of the SIFT (Semen Intra Fallopian Transfer) technique in Assisted Reproduction, Dr. Kamini A. Rao achieved a major breakthrough with the birth of this baby, a fact which has brought her much acclaim the world over. She has the distinction of having set up South India ‘s first Semen Bank as well as having engineered South India’s First Babies born through ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) as well as through Laser Assisted Hatching.
Trained in the United Kingdom she returned to India to set up the Reproductive Medicine Clinic, BACC Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. now known as Milann – The Fertility Center. Milann, is the Centre of choice for patients not only from all over India but also from many other parts of the world like the U.K., U.S. A, South East Asia, Middle East as well as our neighbouring countries.
POSITIONS HELD :
- Medical Director, Milann – The Fertility Centre (A Unit of BACC Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.) (1990 to date)
- Senate Member, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences ((2010 to date)
- President, Federation of Obstetric & Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI) (2000-2001)
- President, Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction (2006-2008) Editor in Chief, Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences (2009 to date)
- Editor in Chief, International Journal of Infertility & Fetal Medicine (2010 to date)
- Member, National Advisory Committee for drafting of Guidelines on Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART Bill)
- Member, National Apex Committee for Stem Cell Research and Therapy (2010 – to date)
- Chairperson, Women’s Sexual & Reproductive Rights Committee, International ObGyn Federation (FIGO) (2006-2009)
- India’s Representative to the International Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology (2003 to 2006)
- India’s Representative to the Asia Oceania Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology (2001 to 2003)
- Chairperson, for the website : www.indianwomenshealth .com
- Chairperson of the International Institute for Training & Research in Reproductive Health (IIRRH )
- President of Bangalore Society of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (BSOG), 1998
- Consultant Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Mallya Hospital, Bangalore
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS | EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION IN INDIA:
School Education at Bishop Cotton Girls’ High School, Bangalore.
Medical Education at St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, and Vanivilas Bangalore.
- 1977 M.B.B.S.
- 1979 D.G.O.
- 1998 F.LC.O.G.
- 2000 Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Law and Ethics
- 2005 F.N.A.M.S.
EDUCATION IN THE UNITED KINGDOM:
- 1983 D.O.RC.P.
- 1985 D.Ch.
- 1985 M.R.C.O.G.
- 1986 M.O.B.G
- 1998 F.RC.O.G.
Fetal Invasive Therapy under Prof. Kypros Nicolaides, Harris Birthright Research Centre for Fetal Medicine, King’s College School of Medicine, London, U.K. Laser Surgery training in South Cleaveland Hospital, Middlesborough, U.K., under Prof. Ray Garry.
CONTRIBUTION TO EDUCATION & TRAINING
POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM – NATIONAL BOARD OF EXAMINATIONS
BACC Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. has been recognized by the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi for a post doctoral Fellowship program in Reproductive Medicine and is one of the five Centres in India to be recognized.
POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM- RAJIV GANDHI UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES BACC
Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. is also recognized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka’s Medical University, for Fellowships in Reproductive Medicine and Feto Maternal Medicine and Endoscopy
POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM-BACC HEALTHCARE PVT. LTD.
BACC Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. also offers an independent two year post doctoral Fellowship program in Reproductive Medicine. Nearly 50 students have passed out of this Centre and been awarded the Fellowship degree and BACC is proud of having maintained a 100% pass percentage since it was first granted recognition in the year 2003.
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR TRAINING & RESEARCH IN REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH (IIRRH)
– A charitable trust set up by Dr Kamini Rao for the promotion of academics, training and research
This is a world class fertility training Centre specializing in Assisted Reproductive Techniques based in Bangalore set up by Dr Kamini Rao and initially made possible by a grant from Merck Serono and Learning Initiative for Fertility Experts. State of the art laboratories and an internationally accredited faculty make this a premier training Centre for the benefit of professionals in the field of ART. The Centre operates two training Courses as shown below as well as a couple of short term courses.
- Three week Embryology Training Course
This is a comprehensive course that aims to introduce to the student the fundamentals of Embryology with training in oocyte handling, embryo handling, embryo culture, embryo freezing/thawing, IVF and ICSI.
- Three week Clinical Training Course
This course provides a one-on-one comprehensive training in the clinical management of ART. It includes Ovulation induction protocols, Ultrasound monitoring, Oocyte pick up and Embryo transfer techniques.
- Short Term & Weekend Courses Short Term & Weekend Courses on various topics are also offered which serve as refresher programs for Continuing Medical Education
- Over 40 medical publications and textbooks authored by Dr Kamini Rao have been published
- Publishes the International Journal of Infertility and Fetal Medicine for which Dr Kamini Rao is the Editor in Chief
- Organizes LIFE CONFERENCE an annual scientific conference organized by Dr. Kamini Rao in the years 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
ON THE EDITORIAL BOARD OF:
- Editor in Chief of the Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences
- Editor in Chief of the International Journal for Infertility & Fetal Medicine
- The International Journal "Obstetrics & Gynaecology Communications".
- The Journal "Obs. & Gynae. Today", a Mediworld Publication.
- "Perinatology", a Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Care.
- Asian Journal of Obs. & Gynae. Practice, IJCP Publications.
- Gynaecology & Obstetrics Update
- "Medi Track" a quarterly publication for General Practitioners
- Dr. (Mrs.) Tamaskar Oration on "Molecular Biology – Clinical Applications", Nagpur.
- Rajkot Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society Oration on "Genetics in Habitual Abortions", 1989.
- All India Congress Oration on "Infertility treatment in the next Millenium", at Nagpur Obs. & Gyn. Society, 1999.
- Dr. Ratnabai Morey Oration on "Ageing and Reproduction", at the XII Karnataka State OBG Conference, 1999 at Bangalore.
- Dr. Rajju Banker Oration, on "Habitual Abortions", at Ahmadabad in 1999.
- Ahmadabad Obstetrics & Gynaecological Society Silver Jubilee Oration (1999 – 2000) on "Premature Ovarian Failure".
- Dr. Asha Lata KAR Memorial Oration on "Apoptosis – Fact or Fantasy", at the Vlth Joint Meet of OBG Societies, Orissa, 2000.
- Dr. Dossibai J. R. Dadabhoy Silver Jubilee Oration on "Ethics of Prenatal Diagnosis", at Bombay, 2000.
- D. C. Dutta Memorial Conference Oration, 2001, on "Premature Ovarian Failure" at Calcutta.
- Obstetric & Gynaecological Society of Southern India (OGSSI) – Annual Oration, 2001, on "Prenatal Detection & Post-natal Management of Fetal Malformations", at Chennai.
- Baroda Obst. & Gynec.Society Annual Oration, 2001, on "Ageing & Reproduction".
- Surat Obst. & Gynec.Society Annual Oration, 2001, on "Genomics & Gene Therapy".
- The R. K. Das Memorial Oration on ‘Safe Abortion’, at the XII Convention of North Eastern Obstetric & Gynaecological Societies Shillong, April 2001.
- Bilag Oration on ‘Premature Ovarian Failure – How far to go’, at the Millennium Update 2001 – Endolap and ART Conference, Vapi, Bombay.
- FOGSI Oration on "Safe Abrtion – FOGSI Meets the Challenge" at the 46th AICOG 2003, Bangalore.
- Prof. K. Bhaskar Rao Oration on "Immunomodulation in Obs. & Gyn." at the Annual Conference of the Madurai Obs & Gyn Society in December 2005.
- MOGS-Dr.M.Y.Rawal Oration on "Ultrasonography in Infertility" at the Infertility Today Conference of the Mumbai Obs & Gyn Society in December 2005.
- Dr. Shirodkar Oration on "Recent Advances in ART" in April 2006 at the Sholapur Annual OBG Conference.
- Oration on "Medicine – Law How does it influence the Clinical Practice" at the 8th International Conference on Recent Developments in Obstetrics, Sub Fertility & Gynecology in August 2008 in Chennai.
- Dr. Thomas Chandy Memorial Oration on "Reproductive Options for patients with Cancer" in August 2008 in Trivandrum.
- Dr. M P John Memorial Oration on "Recurrent Pregnancy Loss" in December 2010 in Patna.
- Dr. Suja Memorial Oration on "Making Every Woman Count" 15th May 2011 at IMPACT 2011 in Trivandrum.
- V B Chitale IMA Oration on "Women’s Empowerment through Health" at the 2nd Congress on Women’s Health & Disease 09th October 2011 in Pune.
- Certification of Appreciation Key Note Address on "Ovulation Induction in Cancer Survivors" at the 7th National Conference of Indian Fertility Society Fertivision 2011 17th December 2011 in New Delhi.
- The Champadevi Memorial Oration on "Poor Responders: An Enigma" at the 17th National Conference of Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction 3rd March 2012 in Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
- Dr. Sulochana Gunasheela Memorial Oration on "Reproductive Outcome after Hysteroscopic Surgery" at the National Congress of the Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction -Karnataka Chapter (KISAR) on 23rd February 2013 in Mysore.
- Dr. S. N Tripathi Oration on "Status of Emergency Obstetrics & Newborn Care in India" at the Congress 2013 Indian Society of Perinatology & Reproductive Biology (ISOPARB) 24th March 2013 in Lucknow
- Dr. R N Ganguly Memorial Oration on "Fetal Origin of Adult Disease" covering the role of Nutrition during pregnancy period at R N Ganguly Foundation on 25th March 2013 in Kolkata.
ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE FIELD OF MEDICINE:
- Pioneered the SIFT (Semen Intra Fallopian Transfer) technique in Assisted Reproduction 1991.
- India’s first SIFT Baby 3rd March 1991.
- Stem Cell Research in collaboration with the National Centre for Biological Sciences which is a collaborative effort with Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR)
- South India’s first ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) baby through the Micromanipulation technique 20th August 1997.
- South India’s first Laser Assisted Hatching baby.
- South India’s third GIFT (Gamete Intra Fallopian Transfer) Baby 25th October 1990.
- Advanced work in the field of Foetal Medicine and Surgery for the identification of chromosomally and genetically abnormal fetuses
- The first Infertility Clinic in India to be awarded the ISO 9001:2000 status in April 2004
- Set up a Semen and Cryo Bank, the first of its kind in South India in 1990
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE COMMUNITY:
- Health Camps organized regularly where over 10,000 people have been screened for Gynecological problems.
- Over 250 health awareness programmes conducted for the common public.
- Conducted innumerable continuing medical education programmes for the medical fraternity
- Set up YUVA SEVA – A Centre for Adolescent Counseling a voluntary organization involving medical practitioners, educationists and socially committed people.
- Co-ordinator of the Govt, of Karnataka School Health and Adolescent Program which has covered over 5000 students from classes VIII, IX & X of both private and govt, schools were covered. The program addresses the health needs of adolescents as well as focuses on specific adolescent problems like Substance Abuse, School dropouts, Teenage Pregnancy and Abortion and HIV/ADDS.
- As part of the Safe Abortion Saves Lives program she was the driving force behind organizing a number of workshops all over the country, with special attention to the Bimaru’ states to promote safe abortion practices.
- Convenor of the Manual Vacuum Aspiration Pilot Project, a pioneering project to explore the possibility of introducing the MVA technique for abortion at the district and PHC level in certain chosen 8 states. The project was undertaken by FOGSI, MOHFW, Govt, of India and WHO.
- Co-ordinator of the International Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology "Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Rights" Project initiated to use existing international human rights to improve women’s sexual and reproductive health through collaboration, education and advocacy.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE FEDERATION OF OBS. & /GYNAE. SOCIETIES OF INDIA:
- 1st President from Karnataka and upto date the youngest President and only lady doctor from South India to hold the post.
- Trained more than 12500 doctors from all over country in the practice of Safe Abortion through 52 hands on Workshops.
- Introduced the Vaccum Aspiration Syringe into the National Family Planning Programme through FOGSI.
- Started Yuva FOGSI Conference as a result of which more than 2,00,000 doctors have been enabled to enhance their knowledge and skills
- Brought the youth into focus of academic excellence and social responsibility